Thursday, October 20, 2011

When I say "Detroit" what word comes to mind?

In going with our church-wide campaign, I am reading "Sun Stand Still" by Steven Furtick. It is based off of Joshua 10, when Joshua prays and asks God to make the sun stand still so that he can defeat the enemy, just as God had promised him.

This got me thinking about something...

When I say "Detroit" what word comes to mind?

Is it something in regards to sports?
- Detroit Lions 5-1
- Detroit Tigers...ALCS Contenders
- Detroit Red Wings...Stanley Cup champs how many times?

Maybe the words "motor city" come to mind.

Do you think of violence? That is what everyone from my small town in Indiana think of...always asking if I'm "packin'" haha

Unfortunately, I've never heard anyone ever say that they think of Jesus when they think of Detroit. And why should they? I know that it is in the top 5 most dangerous cities in the world, if not #1 of that list. I also know that my car insurance is higher because the number of break-ins to vehicles is higher.

What will we have to do to change this? We hear stories all the time of individuals that have spent decades addicted to drugs, finding Jesus and being able to celebrate sobriety for the first time. Why can't this city be the same story?

"Seizing God's vision means deciding that you will not spend another day surviving your work environment, family dynamic, or dysfunctional situation. Instead, you will bring about substantial change for the glory of God." - Steven Furtick in "Sun Stand Still"


What will it take for us to seize God's vision for the city of Detroit? Even more importantly, what will it take for us to seize God's vision for our own individual lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment